This blog explores the act of walking and its ancient connection to philosophical thought. It will reflect on the process of Walking Piece, a project where 50 people will come together in South London to create a performance around the everyday movement.

More widely, these findings from the blog will also attempt to answer questions surrounding the impact of the Arts on those involved and those who are not, looking particularly at participatory dance.

Watch this space for interviews, photos, articles and other materials that we find in our wanderings.

Saturday 14 July 2012

Interview with performer : Shane Waltener


1.       What is it about Walking Piece that draws your interest?

The title of the work first of all intrigued me.  Walking is such an ordinary thing, everyone walks, and mostly without thinking about it. But when you do start to think about it, the activity becomes somewhat extraordinary, so I was hoping for some kind of revelation by getting involved in the project. I also recently created an installation at Siobhan Davies Studios that response to the building.  A group of three dancers walked up and down the staircase using the metal framework as a device to weave on. I also used the outdoor staircase during this project, so the parallels with Matthias site responsive piece also intrigued me. Im interested in the performance of craft, as well as participatory work, and was curious to see what his approach would be like. I usually lead group activities, so I was interested for once to be on the other side of the fence. I remember doing ballroom dancing ages ago and being led on one occasion instead of leading.  It was such a thrill, and a liberation.  I was hoping for the same to happen here.

2.       Have you take part in similar projects like this before? If so, why?

Not really.  I did take off all my clothes for one of Spencer Tunicks human installation a few years back but this hardly compares.  I was also filmed for Lucy Cash and Becky Edmunds film Pedestrian also scheduled for Footfall, but here again there is little comparison with relation the level of input involved with the project.  It's been ages since I've danced, but I've been thinking about it for a couple of decades, so I'm glad I'm finally getting round to it

3.       What are your expectations for this project at this stage? 

After 10+ rehearsals and two days to go before the performance, the piece does feel very familiar.  However, each time we run through it at rehearsal, it feels like a new piece.  This comes I think from having to perform tasks rather than remember sequences of actions and movements as we walk through the building. The meaning of the piece for me is in the moment, acting in the present rather than re enacting the past. This is a radical approach for a maker and I love it. I very much look forward to the 'reinvention' of the work on Sunday in front of a wider audience.  Performing Walking Piece throughout the day will be like performing it for the first time again, and again, and again

Its been fascinating to how Matthias has shaped the piece over the course of the rehearsals by responding to how the tasks were performed and giving us pointers on what our intentions might be when performing these.  Ive taken much more than just my feet for a walk over this period, its given me much food for thought, and stronger legs, and vocal cords in the process too!

No comments:

Post a Comment